LOCAL PHONE SCAM TARGETS NEW AMERICANS IN THE ST. CLOUD AREA
#unitecloud has heard multiple reports of a local phone scam that seems to be targeting our New American neighbors in the St. Cloud area.
- Caller says that there is an arrest warrant out for the person – the warrant is for tax evasion.
- Caller claims to be an officer, gives badge number, and also gives case number,
- Caller says the person must pay thousands of dollars now (gives exact amount) or will be arrested.
- Caller is asked for social security number.
- Caller says the person will be handcuffed and deported if they do not pay now.
What to do if you receive this call:
- Do not give the caller any information (social security number, bank account number, etc)
- Hang up immediately.
- Contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. Use TIGTA’s “IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting” web page to report the incident or call 1-800-366-4484.
- You should also report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Use the “FTC Complaint Assistant” on FTC.gov. Please add “IRS Telephone Scam” to the comments of your report.
More IRS tips on phone scams can be found here.
Please share this blog post so that our neighbors know to be aware of this scam!